Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day!

I love Valentine's Day. I love the pink and the red and the romance. Well until I had a one year old... now it's just different. It's still fun, just not as spontaneous as it used to be. I am enjoying my little valentine today and the rule is lots of kisses. I was thinking about our Valentine's day last year. It was our last big holiday together alone. It's a pretty humerous story so I thought I would share it. We had a doctor's appointment that afternoon. Everything was quite routine. I had made it to 37 weeks and was considered full term. They checked me and I had even diolated 1-2 centemeters and was 50% efaced (for those of you who don't know what that means ask your wife). We were excited there was some progress. Then my doctor measured my belly. I was measuring a couple of centimeters smaller than the previous check-up. This somewhat alarmed my doctor. It meant either the baby had dropped or I was loosing fluid. To be on the safe side she wanted me to have an ultrasound in the next day or two. If I was losing fluid she told us we could have this baby as early as the weekend. This really freaked us out. I wasn't packed. The baby wasn't packed. We didn't have diapers or a pack-n-play and other important things we needed to bring our baby home to. We rushed out of the doctor's office. Our nice romantic dinner for the evening was cancelled. We got a quick bite and rushed to Target and headed home. Upon arriving at home I smelled a strong natural gas smell. Steven couldn't smell it as strong as me (pregnant nose). He was convinced our neighbors were cooking on their gas stove next door and that I could smell it through the walls. None the less I called the gas company. They told us they would be out to our house within two hours. We were not to turn on any lights and we were told to open our doors and windows. There we were in our cold, dark house on Valentine's day waiting for the gas guy to show up. After a few minutes we realized that Pepper (our dog) was not right there with us annoying Steven. This was odd. Our door was open and the dog gate was pushed out just a little. Great. I'm about to have a baby, our house smells of natural gas, and our dog is gone on Valentine's day. Steven and I both ran outside (or I waddled) and called for Pepper. We walked up and down the sidewalk calling for him and shaking treat bags. That seems to always get him in the door quickly. Steven remembered going into the garage after we got home, so he asked me to go and check for Pepper in there. I checked and found Pepper alone in the dark garage. What a relief. Shortly after that, the gas guy showed up and checked our home and our neighbors home. He found that our neighbors had left their gas BBQ on very low in their garage for several hours. We were grateful to be safe. The next day I went in for my ultrasound and everything was fine. Camden had just dropped really low. A week and a half later we had him and he forever changed our lives. We love him so much. He is the best little Valentine!

2 comments:

Daryl & Diana said...

That's a great story! Too bad it'll be a couple of decades before you guys have a chance at another totally relaxed night alone!

Cheryl Gilbert said...

Great story, Jessie! I hope you guys had a fun Valentine's Day! Amazing how our little tykes change things, huh? :)